Seven reasons you may need to say bye-bye to your balcony barbie

6. Safety

We still don’t know how many buildings in Australia have the cheap inflammable aluminium cladding that caused fire to spread so rapidly in the Lacrosse building in Melbourne a couple of years ago, as well as a number of high rise fires in Dubai, including the New Year’s Eve blaze in the Address Downtown hotel. But there’s a lot.

Smouldering cigarette ends and out of control barbecues have been identified as the causes of at least three of the better-known fires (although the Grenfell fire in London started from an electrical fault).
Yet everyone routinely ignores the advice from fire safety authorities to regularly check your gas fittings, not to use gas barbecues in a confined space and have a water supply nearby in case there is a fire.

We are also advised not to let children or people affected by alcohol near barbecues. Yeah, that’ll work.

(Visited 1,178 times, 1 visits today)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestmailby feather

One Reply to “Seven reasons you may need to say bye-bye to your balcony barbie”

  1. More of the nanny state. Windows can’t be fully opened in case children fall out by parents who don’t watch them. Now maybe no bbq’s on balcony. It was an internal refrigerator that caused the Grenfell fire – so what now – no electrical appliance in units. We have tenants who cook Indian food and I’m so hungry when I arrive home I would like to take my begging bowl and knock on their door. So are we to ban anyone to cooks smelly food. I don’t think so.

Leave a Reply