TIPS FOR RENTERS
- Have a pet resume for your pet and attach this to all applications.
- Be honest.
- Ensure your dog is well trained and up-to-scratch with his/her doggy manners.
- Ensure your cat is housetrained and has no litter box woes.
- Contact your local real-estate and ask them to contact you if pet accommodation becomes available in the area you wish to move.
- Be prepared to offer a little extra in rent, or bond.
- Have references on hand. This could be your dog trainer, vet and previous pet accommodation.
- Beware writing as if you are your pet… this might seem a tad sad – just saying.
TIPS FOR LANDLORDS
- Consider the benefits for having a pet on the property – extra security etc, normally those with pets will be long time renters.
- Ask for referrals
- Talk to other landlords who allow pets.
- Consider each application case-by-case.
- Don’t be put off by horror stories, chat to real-estate agents about pet friendly rentals and get the real picture.
- Ask for information on the pet’s history, training and behavior.